Tredyffrin Township and the Library Board of Trustees seek a progressive leader and experienced manager to oversee and manage all library operations at two locations (Strafford and Paoli, PA) including 8 full-time and 15+ part-time staff, volunteers, facilities, inventories, technologies, budgets, and endowments in compliance with all regulations of state, county, and local funding agencies. The Director is responsible for a $1.7M budget and serves as a department head within township government, as the library’s representative within the county library system and as a liaison with the Friends of the Tredyffrin Library, the Friends of the Paoli Library, the Tredyffrin Township Library Foundation, community organizations, regional libraries, and the Pennsylvania Library Association. Salary will depend on qualifications.
The salary range is $95,000-$110,000 dependent on experience. Excellent benefits including health, life, and retirement. EOE.
- Graduation from an American Library Association-accredited college or university with a master’s degree in Library Science, Library Information Science, or related field (required)
- Seven years of relevant professional experience in a library; experience in a public library setting preferred.
- Three years of supervisory and budget management experience (preferably in a library environment); or equivalent experience which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the position and required work.
2) Comprehensive knowledge and experience of the following:
- Latest principles and practices of community library systems, programs and resources.
- Public service, access services, resource sharing and technical infrastructure required for access and delivery of library content.
- Integrated library systems.
- Local, state and federal laws governing public libraries.
- Library operations including finance, budgeting and staffing, and human resources.
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluations.
3) Licenses/Certificates/Registrations/Selection Guidelines
- Valid State Driver\'s License; or ability to obtain one.
- PA Child Abuse History clearance, PA State Police Criminal History clearance, and FBI Criminal History clearance.
- Pennsylvania Public Library Certification (within 6 months of employment)
- Formal application, rating of experience, oral interview, reference checks, and job-related tests may be required.
4) Considerable ability to use:
- Standard office equipment, including but not limited to computer, fax machine, and integrated library system.
- Computer applications including word processing, spreadsheet software and database management.
- Assist the Library Board of Trustees to develop the annual (and any multi-year) budget for approval by the Board of Supervisors by calculating budget requirements and projections for library revenue, personnel, and operational needs; perform technical review to analyze trends; recommend changes in revenue rates and expenditures; finalize budget format.
- Manage the implementation of the annual budgets, maintaining appropriate procedures and records to ensure that funds received and expended are categorized according the annual budget; ensure that payments are made in a timely manner and that the Board and township administration are informed of any significant variances in the budget.
- Establish appropriate service and staffing levels and regularly monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures.
- Provide clear and supportive leadership to library employees and volunteers, delegating where appropriate, yet remaining fully knowledgeable of library programs, activities, and major daily operations;
- Develop and modify job descriptions as needed, and provide regular staff performance evaluations of library department heads and the branch head and ensure that the department heads in turn evaluate their subordinates.
- Continuously assess the Library’s effectiveness by reviewing the existing work environment, devising new techniques and modifying existing procedures to address issues facing the internal organization as well as to increase public outreach and service; exercise sound judgment and common sense in evaluating situations and in making decisions.
- In collaboration with the Library Board of Trustees, the township staff, and members of the community, direct the development and implementation of the library’s strategic plan, goals, objectives, policies and priorities.
- Work collaboratively with the Township, the Library Board of Trustees, the Friends groups, the Foundation and others to raise operating, capital and endowment funds for the library’s benefit.
- Communicate effectively and professionally in writing and orally to understand and convey information, in a manner consistent with job function/position; oversee the development and maintenance of the Library’s website as an effective communication tool and incorporate social media and all other available means to enhance outreach.
- Oversee maintenance of the two library facilities.
- With the President of the Library Board of Trustees, prepare agendas, minutes, and other required records of the Board of Trustees; attend all public meetings of, and provide professional advice and assistance to, Board of Trustees and other library boards or committees as necessary.
- Keep the Library Board of Trustees and Township administrators informed of library issues and/or developments of concern; attend township department head meetings and Township Supervisor meetings as directed.
- Establish and maintain effective and professional working relationships with the Library Board of Trustees, township administrators and staff, Township Supervisors, the public, the staff of the Chester County Library System, outside agencies and groups, and vendors.
- Respond to inquiries, complaints, and/or grievances in a timely and professional manner.
- Provide necessary documents and reports to maintain membership in the county library system and eligibility for state aid and county funds.
- Carry out job functions without posing a direct threat to the health or safety of self or others.
- Ability and willingness to work such hours and days as are necessary to carry out job responsibilities;
- Intermittent travel to library branches and outreach locations as required;
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
This is not an exclusive list but merely a few examples:
- Assume a leadership role in the recruitment and selection of new library staff.
- Set wages and salaries of all library personnel under the perimeters and guidelines established by the Board of Trustees and the township; develop and implement volunteer recruitment and training.
- Assess employee training needs and recommend/implement training programs as needed.
- Oversee diverse programming that appeals to the community; ensure that the library provides a collection of materials which is responsive to community needs and interests.
- Coordinate with the Chester County Library System improvements to and maintenance of the library automation system.
- Promote the library, its services and its significance to the community to encourage greater support and usage.
- Attend district, regional, state and national library meetings when possible; participate in the Chester County Library System’s system-wide planning and district system agreement process; coordinate services with other Chester County libraries; attend district and system meetings, keeping the Library Board informed of developments effecting the library.
- Procure and/or execute contracts for goods and services in accordance with bidding requirements and applicable laws.
- Seek out and apply for other public funding sources such as grants, loans, credits, discounts, etc., when appropriate.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the position.
Applications will be accepted until the role has been filled.
Forward cover letter, employment application, resume and three professional references to: Tred_Hire@tredyffrin.org or Tredyffrin Township, Attn: HR, 1100 Duportail Rd., Berwyn, PA 19312.