Tredyffrin Public Library has an immediate opening for a conscientious, detail-oriented, friendly person to provide customer service and shelve materials. Candidate should function well in a busy environment and be able to work with a variety of people, including children. The primary responsibilities of the position will be basic circulation desk procedures including:
- Friendly and welcoming front line customer service
- Check in and check out materials
- Providing program support to attendees (handing out tickets, directing patrons to programs, assisting with registration)
- Handling general account issues
- Readers advisory
For some shifts candidate will be responsible for shelving: returning all library materials to the proper places on the shelves and ensuring that the shelves and display areas are neat, orderly, and attractive.
Some HS required; a broad knowledge of libraries and basic understanding of library procedures is desirable.
Excellent organizational and verbal communications skills, flexibility, genuine enjoyment of the public in general and specifically working with children, commitment to public service, and the ability to handle stressful situations. The ability to master basic and specialized online circulation functions, and demonstrate current PC proficiency including internet, email and Microsoft Office skills.
Physical abilities: Handle, lift, or move library materials weighing up to 25 lbs.; stand at a computer terminal for up to 4 hours; wheel book trucks weighing up to 125 lbs.; and stand, sit, walk, stoop or reach within a confined area.
All library positions require the following criminal background and child abuse clearances:
- Report of criminal history from the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP)
- Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services (Child Abuse)
- Fingerprint based federal criminal history submitted through the Pennsylvania State Police or its authorized agent (FBI).
Submit questions or cover letter/resume to Angie Andre at email@example.com with subject heading 'Children's Library Assistant'